- •The intensity of research efforts directed at various pain-related molecular targets persistently increased for a very long time in each topic even without any success in the development of new analgesics.
- •Scientometric indices of NIH-supported studies are not better at predicting successes in the discovery of new analgesics than indices applied to all publications without regard to the category of support.
- •Orthodox thinking—both in research and research funding—might be the main reason for the absence of breakthrough analgesics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The study on the development of new analgesics over the past 50 years: a lack of real breakthrough drug.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 780-789
- Prescription opioid use, misuse, and use disorders in U.S. adults: 2015 national survey on drug use and health.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 293-301
- Medication-assisted therapies—tackling the opioid-overdose epidemic.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2063-2066
- Long-term opioid treatment of chronic, nonmalignant pain: unproven efficacy and neglected safety?.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 513-529
- What can big data on academic interest reveal about a drug? Reflections in three major U.S. databases.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2018; 39: 248-257
- No evidence of real progress in treatment of acute pain, 1993-2012: scientometric analysis.J Pain Res. 2014; 7: 199-210
- Can a bibliometric indicator predict the success of a drug?.Scientometrics. 2011; 86: 785-795
- Top journal selectivity index: is it acceptable for drugs beyond the field of analgesia?.Scientometrics. 2011; 88: 589-597
- Analgesic drugs in development.in: McMahon S.B. Kolzenburg M. Wall and Melzack's Textbook of Pain. 5th ed. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A2006
- Pharmacological modulation of pain.in: Basbaum A.I. Bushnell M.C. Science of Pain. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands2009
- Multiple mechanisms have been tested in pain--how can we improve the chances of success?.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2014; 14: 11-17
- New molecules for the treatment of pain.Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2011; 5: 111-115
- Funding support (grant) information in Medline/PubMed.https://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/funding_support.htmlDate accessed: April 20, 2018
- Perioperative ketamine for acute postoperative pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; CD004603
- Tanezumab for the treatment of pain from osteoarthritis of the knee.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1521-1531
- A phase III placebo- and oxycodone-controlled study of tanezumab in adults with osteoarthritis pain of the hip or knee.Pain. 2013; 154: 1603-1612
- Fulranumab for treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain: a randomized controlled trial.Neurology. 2013; 83: 628-637
- Calcitonin-gene-related peptide pathway mAbs and migraine prevention.Curr Opin Neurol. 2018; 31: 274-280
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide monoclonal antibodies for migraine prevention: comparison across randomized controlled studies.Curr Opin Neurol. 2017; 30: 272-280
- Therapeutic targeting of TRV1 by resinferutoxin, from preclinical studies to clinical trials.Curr Top Med Chem. 2011; 11: 2159-2170
- Scientometric assessment of drugs for chronic pain, 1979-2013: rapid growth of publications, paucity of successful drugs.J Pain Res. 2014; 7: 505-514
- Use and efficacy of low-dose ketamine in the management of acute postoperative pain: a review of current techniques and outcomes.Pain. 1999; 82: 111-125
- Towards a mechanism-based classification of pain?.Pain. 1998; 77: 227-229
- Animal models of pain: progress and challenges.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009; 10: 283-294
- New, but not improved? Incorporating comparative-effectiveness information into FDA labeling.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1230-1233
- Healing the NIH-funded biomedical research enterprise.Cell. 2015; 161: 1485-1491
- MacArthur Fellows Program--MacArthur Foundation.(Available at)
- The anatomy of medical research: US and international comparisons.JAMA. 2015; 313: 174-189
- Quantifying the economic impact of government and charity funding of medical research on private research and development funding in the United Kingdom.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 32
- Scientific Opportunities and Public Needs: Improving Priority Setting and Public Input at the National Institutes of Health.The National Academy Press, Washington, DC1998
- The relation between funding by the National Institutes of Health and the burden of disease.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 1881-1887
- Pharmaceutical innovation in the treatment of schizophrenia and mental disorders compared with other diseases.Innov Clin Neurosci. 2016; 13: 17-25